Sunday 30 January 2011

You call that a dress? The joys of going out on the town.

I want to discuss the phenomenon of the Irish woman out on the town. I've never seen anything like it, even when I spent some time in California. Let us now set the scene.

Last night my bro-in-law, K, uncle L and I all went out to Dorman's. Dorman's is a bar/club in Magherafelt, a village about 5 miles away. We were meeting cousin P for his birthday. Now Dorman's is a younger crowd so most of the people were in their early twenties. (We didn't choose this pub). Now none of girls I saw had a shoe with a heel no lower then 3 inches, enough hairspray to envy the best 50's beehive and so much makeup that even Dame Edna would say, "now hold on..." You almost have to see it to believe it. Now I know many of you may say, well that's just like how they dress in the big city. You have to understand that we were backwater NI and it's twice as bad in the city. If we were in Belfast, what the girls were wearing last night to go clubbing would be what a girl might wear if she were, let's say, going to the mall.
I hope I painted a clear picture of the scene I was looking at last night. But it's not only the outfits, but the attitude. It was a wee bit crowded so people were having to squeeze past each other. I had more boob grazes and elbows in the back from other girs than any other time I've been out. I think at one point a girl actually punched me in the back just to get me to move. Going to the bathroom was also an adventure. There were no less then two girls per stall and many of them couldn't hit the seat so I wasn't quite sure if it was just spilled drinks on the floor. There were also more girls waiting to use the mirror than the toilets and I honestly think no one washed their hands. (insert gagging noise here) To top everything off almost all these girls were between the ages of 18 and 21, as the drinking age in the UK is 18.

I wish I was better with words to describe the scene I was in last night, but I hope it gives you a wee glance as to what the nightlife here is like. At one point I was outside sitting on a picnic table saying to myself, "I miss Amigos. I miss wearing jeans out. I miss a crappy live band in a dark bar. I miss Maine." Going out here is fun since the whole crowd is still a novelty. There one thing I can say for American girls, we are much better dancers. Last weekend a bunch of us went to another pub in Magherafelt called Mary's. This was a much older crowd that wasn't drunk at 12. The DJ was good and a friend, C and I danced like no one was watching. C was a great dancer and I was ok, but American are more suited to the R&B/hip hop than Europeans. I am going to clarify before I get in trouble, not all the girls in Ireland are like this. All my friends here are always dressed very classy and their make-up is always perfect. I'm talking about section of the population that is notorious for their clothes, make-up and attitude.


oíche mhaith

No comments:

Post a Comment