Tuesday 5 July 2011

A wonderful weekend

They don't celebrate the 4th of July here at all, except for a few mentions on the news and radio, but this weekend had all the elements excluding the fireworks. We had sun, family, BBQ and beach. It was perfect.

The Dublin TT's came up. Cousin A is almost 3 and R is almost 6 so they're perfect playmates for O. They chased and played away all weekend. O was a very happy baby running after her bigger cousins. The best part of the weekend was how sunny and warm it was.  This hasn't happened since before we left. Friday we had a BBQ, Saturday we did the same and Sunday we were outside all day playing baseball and just enjoying the heat. Yesterday my husband and I had the house to ourselves with the baby and it was still nice so we decided to go up to the beach after O's nap. It was a little overcast, but still relatively warm. We went to PortStewart, which is about 40 minutes north of here. It's probably the closest beach. You can drive up on the sand, park your car and enjoy the water and sand. However I will say one thing, the beach yesterday was scattered with trash. Now I don't know if this is a normal occurrence, but was kind of gross. O enjoyed the sand and a little bit of the water. I thought Maine's water was cold. Nope. The only thing that would have made this the best 4th of July weekend ever would be if I had my friends from Maine here with us.

The summer is turning out to be busy, which is great because I am starting to get a little stir crazy. This weekend we're headed down to Cork to see Aunt M and her family. It used to be about a 9 hour drive, but with these new modern highways, it takes about 6 hours. We have to drive down to Dublin and then cut across to Cork. It will be the in-laws and the three of us. Hopefully I survive the drive.

I hope all of you had a great holiday weekend. I've been thinking about many of you as you've traveled home to Maine for the holidays. I'm hoping to be back in Maine for July. (fingers-crossed). Here are some pictures of the weekend.

I just love this picture.

Look down the beach toward the end. It was he end of the day, so it was getting quieter and more and more people were leaving.


Looking up the beach toward the town of PortStewart.

Posing and getting me covered in sand

The babe and her daddy.


oíche mhaith

No comments:

Post a Comment