Wednesday 13 April 2011

Thoughts on "home"

I thought that when we flew into the States I would feel right at home and back to normal. Nope. When we were flying into Portland and especially Newark I already missed the green fields and small towns. Can someone who has lived in one place for 29 years and another for 5 months really get that attached to a new place? Maybe it was because I had told my brain that, "no,we're not just visiting Ireland, we're living here" that it started to replace the familiar with the foreign.
We've now been here a few days and I'm hoping these feelings start to go away. I'm also afraid that if I enjoy my time here to much and get comfortable it's going to be even harder to go back to Ireland and I'll have to start over mentally again.  You just don't realize how much you really miss "home" until you've been welcomed back with open arms.
We've also hit the ground running. It's been nice to be busy everyday.  We haven't been at the house at all during the day. We arrived Saturday and tomorrow will be the first day we don't have any plans, well during the day anyways. It's been so nice to see my friends again and to talk and socialize like a normal adult. One thing I do worry about is that I'm bitching too much to my friends. I'll probably get it out of my system after this first week, it's been building up for 5 months (ha ha). If I do please let me know. However the worst experience so far of this whole trip was my first trip back to Wal-Mart. Now I hadn't thought I had gained any weight since I left, just stayed the same. However an older woman at Wal-mart decided to ask me when I was due. This has never happened to me before (while not pregnant) and I thought I was going to burst into tears right there. However I laughed it off and made her feel really bad about asking. Yes, I haven't been gung-ho about exercising and I'm not what I wanted to look like when I got back to everyone, but no reason to ask if I'm pregnant. Why is that older woman feel the need to comment on other people. While I was pregnant older women processed to tell me how "big" I was and didn't believe I was only have one child. You won't get that in Northern Ireland thats for sure. (Well here's hoping)

Enough of my rant and ramblings. It's been great being "home." Can't wait to see more of you! O has fallen right back into the swing of things. In fact she's been awesome. We've had her out and about everyday with little to no nap and she's had such a great time. I am going to feel awful when we take her away from all her friends here. But we won't talk about that anymore.

***Pictures to come once I can get them off my camera.*************
oíche mhaith

No comments:

Post a Comment