Thursday 24 March 2011

Derry (Warning!!! History lesson!!!)

We took a trip to Derry or Londonderry. We pretty much did the same thing as yesterday. Had lunch, walked around the city and then met my MIL again.  Except Derry has so much history right under your feet. I'll tell you the history and walk you through our day with pictures!

Glenshane pass on our way to Derry


Center of Derry


Shipquay St. On of the steeper streets. It's wicked it walk up it. You can smell the burning clutch from all the people who can't do a hill start.

Lunch! Took a while to find a sandwich shop that had a high chair. It was nice for another girls day out.

Eating chicken!
The view outside the shop. The old walls of Derry. I know I've mentioned them when we went to Derry for St. Patrick's day.


This is what the wall looks like from the top. You can walk the entire thing.
St. Augustine's church. It was one of the orignal churches in the city on a monastry site. It became too small for the population so they built St. Columb's Catherdal which you'll see later on.

Just as a helpful guide. When it says plantation settlers it means the lowland Scottish farmers the English government brought in to try and slowly convert the Irish population or "conquer". However Ulster, one of the 4 proviences of Ireland was the most heavily or strongly Catholic.  The history in Northern Ireland is a long and bloody one after the plantation settlers came over.

Graveyard of St. Augustine's church.

O was very good again today. Didn't whine at all. I can't believe how good she was. Also I can't believe that I would ever have to use sunscreen in March, lets hope it stays this way for a while.

A canon used on the battlements.

This is looking down at Bogside. Bogside is where the Catholic population lived in Derry since William of Orange took over. As I said before the history in NI is tragic. It has filled hundreds of books and is too much for me to tell even a wee bit of it . The mural on the building is one of 11 that show the history of the troubles since the beginning.

A broader view of the Bogside. This is also where Bloody Sunday took place as well.

Another look at the wall from the defending side.  This is looking down at Bogside.

A map of the walled city. It looks much bigger than it really is. I would say it's about a quarter to  half a mile across from the middle.

Each gate is marked by their name. They all had signs with the history behind each name.

Derry is a very hilly city. This is one of staircases I had to carry the stroller up and down. Walking around the walls with one of those is the best work out ever! I seemed to be the only one with a stroller on the wall. So I either stood out like a tourist or was just a crazy local.



The front of St. Columb's Cathedral. It looked they're restoring the whole thing. I can't wait until it opens.

Another part of the wall. There were only two of these turrets.  It did look like much of the wall was restored. The Butcher Gate had been rebuilt.

This was taken from the other side of the wall looking at the Waterside. This side is the Protestant side. As you can see by the mural, there is still is some tension.

The west bank



Another look at the wall coming down the hill.

This is the Tower Museum. I'm dying to find out the history. Will try and take our friends here when they come to visit us next week. Luckily one of them is a history major too!

Going back up the hill

Posing in front of the American tourist and the walking tours. I heard alot of American accents today. I hate to say this, but we stick out like sore thumbs when we travel, unless you're "disguised" by a local family like I have been. I will say that living in Europe will change your dress. I just have to take less pictures and then I won't stand out as much.

This is a hidden side street. It's called the Derry Craft center and connects Shipquay St to the where I took the picture of going up the hill. If you stay within the walls it's very easy to learn where to go in Derry. 

I would love to live in a area like this. It was quiet and just had such a quaint feeling.

Thought this was funny. It's the cafe you see in the first picture of the craft center. Why it was called Boston Tea Party I have no idea. Either to attract tourist or because America was able to kick the British out. I love that is says American muffins. Didn't realize there was a big difference.

 It was a great day today all around. Another sunny day! After my MIL got done where her meeting, we went and got a cup of tea and biscuits and walked around one of the shopping centers, or what we would call a "mall". Did pick up a parenting magazine. I'm sure I'll be telling you all the differences I found. Anyways O fell asleep on the way home. All the sun and fresh air wore her out. Tomorrow I'll be getting the house ready for A & D then a nice quiet weekend until they get here.

oíche mhaith

No comments:

Post a Comment