Friday 4 March 2011

Home Sweet Home

The weather here has been perfect. Sunny and in the 50's all week. It's weather like this, that makes me very happy we moved when we did. However it's weeks like this that make me miss my old apartment, my job and my cars.

I was going to write a blog about how hard it is to live with your parents and or in-laws, but it was too hard without making it sound like a bitch session. If any of you have moved in with your parents/in-laws as adults, especially when you are bringing the grandchildren along, I don't have to say anything. You know exactly what I'm talking about. If you are still curious, email me and I'll give you the low down. Let's just say it's hard for grandparents to just be grandparents when you're under their roof. But instead I'm going to talk about our much awaited trip back to the states.

As I have mentioned previously, I need to go back to the good old US of A to sort out my visa. For those of you who do not remember I have a visitor's visa right now, but can only stay in the UK for 6 months and even though I have birthed a UK citizen and married one, I cannot change my status here. So I have to go back to the states, fill out a huge form and then get fingerprints and photos taken (that part is called biometrics). My husband had to have that done when he was getting his US citizenship.  This all comes to a large $$$ price tag and to rush it so that I can have it in 15 days versus 12 weeks is even more money. The whole thought of all of this has been stressful, there is no guarantee I'll even get one, not that they wouldn't, but still the possibility is out there. Out of all this I do get a chance to come home. We fly out of Belfast on April 9th. This was a hassle in itself. We normally fly out of Dublin to Boston, since it's alot cheaper, but since I have overstayed the Ireland visitor visa (3 months) I'm not supposed to travel down there. Plus I have to fly back into the UK to have my visa validated. However flying out of Belfast has it's advantages. It saves us 3 hours in the car and we land straight into Portland which also saves us 3 hours in the car. We'll be in Maine for about 6 weeks and I really can't wait.

I have missed all of you greatly. I won't have to concentrate on your accents, TV will be horrible and lovely, and the food will be comfort foods.  Any weight I have lost here (very little) will probably come back with reinforcements as I try to get a hold of anything I can. Things they don't have over here that I have missed, are Miracle Whip, Lima beans, proper sour cream, diet coke that takes like it should, proper oreos, regular tortilla chips, margarita's (blended), Olive Garden and good cheap restaurants, oh and most importantly, good old fashion American hot dogs! I'm sure there is more, but I just can't think of anything. They might have some of this stuff in the larger stores, but since we never get a chance to go grocery shopping, ever, I haven't been able to find them. Now I have some of this coming in care packages, so don't worry about getting me anything. I will make a request on facebook if things are needed.  Last weekend I did get a wee bit homesick over something silly. Normally I'll watch the Oscars as I play around on the computer and really don't think anything of it, but since I couldn't watch it this year, that's all I could think about. Really annoyed me actually, silly I know. But thanks to my friend, A, I was able to watch after the fact, which made me happy. I owe you some Jaffa cakes as mentioned for payment. If anyone is wanting stuff from the UK, please let me know so we can do a wee shop before we fly out.

It's funny when I think about flying to Maine, I keep saying I am headed home, but I'm not, I'm going for a visit. Yes, Maine will always be a part of me and is who I am, but I don't have a home there anymore that is my own, we have moved our life to Northern Ireland. When I leave Maine again it will be like starting all over again, but it will be worth it. I miss all of you so much and can't wait for you to see O as well. She is so grown up and getting so big she'll seem like a different baby all together. I'm am looking forward to fresh sea air, left hand drive, going to church and Sabbath school and just hanging out with friends! I guess you don't really notice how lonely you are until you start thinking about your "previous life" What makes the wait a little easier as well is our best friends A & D are coming the 28th of March and leaving 4 days before we do, so it won't be too long before we see friends again!

I apologize for the ramblings. As an update on the smoking. It's been okay, no nervous breakdowns or things being thrown. I have made it through the toughest part of the day, which is after O goes to bed. Luckily I had found a good mushy novel to read to that kept me busy. Now I'm starting Dan Brown's latest book, Lost Symbols. We'll see how it goes. I'll also start watching Jane Austen movies over and over again. That will keep me busy.

oíche mhaith

No comments:

Post a Comment