Sunday 21 August 2011

Hunting For My Birthday Present

As many of you know for my 30th birthday present my husband sent me on a treasure hunt. It started with a birthday card and an article he had "found" in the local newspaper. In this article it said Dr. Ferguson had found an ancient stone tablet which she believed to be in a Masonic Cipher.



This is the Masonic Cipher or also called Pigpen cipher.

Once I decoded the message it said, "Only the enlightened find the rings up high." This puzzle took me about 40 minutes to figure out. At first I thought it was in the roof space, but was told I was off the trail. Finally it dawned on me that the ring fort by Granny's house was up high, so that had to be it. Plus if you take the first letter of each word, excluding the word "up", you make an anagram spelling THE FORT.
I headed straight up to the fort after dinner and found my first piece of the puzzle. It was a large round piece of wood split into 4 sections. Each section had a riddle that led you to the back of the circle where there were 4 ciphers to decode. I won't go into too much detail as I imagine many of you aren't into ciphers and codes as much as we are, but lets just say it was mentally taxing and very hard. He didn't give me any hints.

This is me with the first piece of the puzzle trying to decode the ciphers and the riddles
The four ciphers were a Ceasar cipher shift seven, a book cipher, a date cipher and a Durer's magic square cipher (this one was even harder since it started out in Masonic and than once I did that I had to figure out how to do the Durer's cipher.)  If you want to know more about any of these ciphers you can go to wikipedia or type them on Google and you'll find pages for them. Once I figured out the 4 ciphers, they were again riddles that I had to solve to get my next piece of the puzzle. One was "ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR, SPLASH." This led me to a piece in our fish pond and no I didn't have to go into the water, but it was at the edge. Another was, "IMINYOURATIC". Yes there is only one T, but to make it fit into the magic square he had to spell it wrong. That one was easy enough. Another was, "Sleeping Like A Bat" with GPS coordinates to a tree in middle of the field. The last one was hinting to the bell by the ring fort.


After I had all four pieces along with the circle I could find the treasure. Now to add, each piece that attached to the circle had different symbols on them. One was distance, another was degrees (N,W,S,E) another was length (ft, mm, cm, etc.) and the last one was all these weird symbols with a sun and on the back it said "Don't be blinded by the light". This is the part that is the hardest to explain, but I had to align the lines on the front of my circle puzzle piece to what I thought would lead me to my treasure. Behind the original piece R had drawn a ring on the tree that was the same as on the front of my circle. I aligned it the first time to the sun and it lead me to 50 cm North of the tree. Well I was wrong, so I had to go back to the circle and the key. Now the key said "Don't be blinded by the light" hinting to a song that my husband knows drives me crazy.  But when I looked up the song on the internet and found the chords, they matched one of the symbols on my pieces. I aligned my circle to it and it pointed to 20 ft West of the ring. And guess what, I found it, buried in a rabbit hole.  The pictures will show the rest of the story. To give you a clue as to how hard these puzzles were, I started this hunt on Sunday afternoon and didn't find my treasure until Wednesday afternoon.

This is me climbing a tree and a fence to get to my clue that is "sleeping like a bat."

The puzzle piece

This is the whole puzzle put together. As you can see there are marks in the circle that can align  to the different  markings on the side. 

O helping me dig my treasure. I didn't really need the shovel, but it looked good in the pictures. I had thought that it was buried much deeper than it was. The only bad part about where he hid it was there were still rabbits around so the plastic bag had a funny smell.

This is what I found under the plastic bag.

The treasure chest. It looks much bigger than it is in person. I would say it's as big as my hand. It was all hand-made by the husband.

This is what it looked like when I opened it. There were two lockets and about  £30  of shiny coins.

The lockets. He says they're antique!

It was the best birthday present a nerdy girl could have, but to be completely honest I don't know if I could do it again. My husband definitely couldn't do it again since it had taken him weeks to get all the codes and the riddles put together. As well as building the box.  I hope you all enjoyed my adventure and if you want to try some of the ciphers let me know and I'll send you the puzzles.

Hope you all had a great weekend!

oíche mhaith

No comments:

Post a Comment