Thursday 25 August 2011

Trip to the Zoo

Yesterday was a trip to the Belfast Zoo. It was nice to plan a day out with the whole family before all the mother and toddler groups start and while the weather is still okay.

The zoo is on the outskirts of Belfast city, up on the hill. I haven't been to a Zoo since my 8th grade class trip to New York City. I think I was the most excited out of everyone. However I would like to point out that I'm not a fan of the thought of the zoos, but I have to say they did a very good job with the enclosures. They also didn't have too many large animals except for some elephants, giraffes, lions, tigers, bears, (oh my!) chimps and apes. The zoo had a lot of small monkeys and birds. The one thing I didn't realize about the zoo was that it is all on a hill and to see all the animals you have to hike a far bit and it's very steep.

The weather was great and it wasn't too crowded. The only complaint I have about the zoo was the fact that there was trash everywhere. Not only was there trash on the walkways, but also there was trash in the animal enclosures. What would compel someone to throw their crisp bag into the tiger pit is beyond me.

O had a great time. We did arrive during nap time so we had some fussy bits, but overall it was a great day.  After the zoo we stopped at a Pizza Hut on the way home to have lunch. That made me a little bit home sick.

Here are some pictures from the day.  We didn't take too many of the animals since a lot of them were taking their afternoon nap in the sun.

The entrance to the zoo

I love this!

The giraffes with the zebras in the background

The elephant enclosure. I have to say they were the saddest to see. But O's face is the best. It's like , "OMG! This is so awesome!"

The meerkats and there was a porcupine on the other side. People were all excited about the porcupine and all I could think was, "yup, run over a few of those in my lifetime."

This was a type of monkey, but I don't remember what type.

The underwater viewing area for the penquins. We waited a little bit and they finally came over. 

The humans, a cute breed as well. They were in the ape house helping raise money  for their apes. 

One of the apes. It was nap time so they were all sleepy.
oíche mhaith

No comments:

Post a Comment