Thursday 24 November 2011

American Holidays aboard

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I hope everyone has a great day.

This is my second Thanksgiving over in Northern Ireland. It hasn't been the only American holiday I've tried to celebrate over here. We did a small flag waving for the 4th of July and luckily Memorial Day and Labor Day are celebrated over here,just with different names.  It's hard to get into a different mindset when no one in your area understands the importance of the day. I went to the Thursday Mother and Toddler and they were making Christmas cookies. Had to laugh at myself since it felt very wrong to be making Christmas cookies on a day like today when I should just be stuffing my face. However after today I won't feel guilty watching Christmas movies and listening to Christmas Music.

Last year at this time we were still unpacking and it was snowing. We did a small dinner with the family and celebrated just being back in Ireland. However this year seems so much different. I am home alone all day and we're not going to do a big dinner until Sunday. I have been given permission to change Sunday dinner up a little bit with devilled eggs and our family's seven-layered salad. I was trying to get a hold of some pumpkin pie mix and found a great website, but it's just too dear for shipping for one little can. (I will however make one soon when I order my root beer). It will be nice to take over a dinner with a few family members. Maybe next year R will get off and we'll do a big dinner with people around in the area.

The worst part about being over here during an American holiday is missing out on the days off, the family all around, the parade and just the over all holiday spirit. Yes, I am home all day, but no one else is home with me. I hope I don't sound too depressing. I know things will get better and someday I'll be able to fly over for Thanksgiving, but sometimes it's just too hard to see the forest through the trees (think I got that saying right). But I'm not the only one in this boat. There are service men and women all over the globe without their families and many people have no choice but to be separated from their loved ones. I do count my blessing that I am able to be home everyday with my daughter and we have a lovely house to live in and especially R has a job that he is loving.

It's not all bad because Christmas is coming and I have to say, I LOVE Christmas over here. We have the Christmas markets, R's huge family around and everyone has at least 2 weeks off for the holidays! So after today it's countdown to K's visit and only 4 more weeks until everyone is home for the holidays. I know the Irish wouldn't like me saying this, but I really can't wait for snow either. Hoping for another white Christmas this year. I promise the next blogs won't be as depressing.

Again, I hope everyone has a great day and very excited that I can Skype many of you in the middle of the week!

oíche mhaith

No comments:

Post a Comment