Sunday 6 February 2011

A walk up to the great grandparents


We were finally able to walk up to Great Granny and Granda's house yesterday. Here are a few pictures as we walked up in the drizzle.

O all tucked in and ready to go!

Here is looking up the lane towards the road from our house.


Can't have a walk in Ireland without seeing some sheep.


More sheep!


This is an old wall on the road/lane. I love that everything around here looks so old.


There are the gates to the front of the Great's driveway. You'll notice the bars on the road. That's to keep sheep/cattle from getting up into the house or from the fields. Their hooves get caught in the bars to stop them.


This is looking up the entrance to the front of the house. People in the country don't use the front entrances of their houses, they're mostly ornamental, much like New England homes. I love this picture because it makes me feel like I'll be walking into an Austen film.


An old tree with snowdrops growing just underneath it. Very fairy tale like.


The front of the Great Grandparents house. I am told it is at least 200 years old, in the early Georgian style. There was an older house built just down the hill, but that one was burnt down and you can't see the foundation. If you look at the left of the pic, next to the bench, you'll see what looks like a plant holder. Again, what I'm told is an early Christian baptism basin for the church.


Looking out into their garden. You can kind of see a gate in the ivy covered wall. Very "Secret Garden."
 I will hopefully have better pictures from their house and maybe if they let me inside the house when it's nice this week.

Hope everyone enjoys the Superbowl. Can't wait to see the difference of TV coverage on the BBC. I will discuss the game tomorrow I'm sure!

oíche mhaith

1 comment: