Saturday 26 February 2011

A whole mess of things

I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while, there really hasn't been much going on. Well, enough to write about so I'll give a brief overview of what's been going on. O is on a walk with the grandparents so I get a nice quiet Saturday morning to myself for a wee bit.

We are still working on the temper and that battle of the wills with Miss O, but she at least has started saying "daddy" again. In fact it's the cutest thing as she follows R around like a puppy dog saying "daddy" over and over again. She loves her mommy, but when it comes to getting attention she seeks his approval all the time. If she does anything funny she'll stop and wait for him to notice her and then continue on.

During the last week we've all be fighting the cold. Runny noses and coughs have been the theme of the week. O has been pretty good with it, just a wee bit more clingy and grumpy then normal, but other than that it's been good. She probably handled it better then her daddy (just kidding hunny). He had it the worst I think out of all of us. The cold came from the mother-toddler group I'm sure of. I am dying to go in there with a big packet of bleach wipes and wipe every down. That is one thing I miss a lot is the disinfecting wipes. You don't see them out like you would in New England. Didn't realize how much of a germaphobe I was until you can't keep things out of your kids mouth. I swear every kid in the group has a runny nose which makes it worse. At least she hasn't gotten anything major or gross yet (knock on wood) and I'm building up her immune system, well I keep telling myself that.
You will be glad to know too that we've made headway with the mothers at the group. They have started including me in some conversations and I even had the guts to ask them all their names again since they all seemed to know mine. I found out that some of them aren't even mothers, but just child-minders that bring the kids they watch during the day to play with other kids. It seems that the popular thing to do in this area is to leave your kid with what we could call a daycare, but there are only 2-3 kids max at the house. Seems like a good idea.
What else has happened this week........Oh,R and I went out with our friend C and his brother K. We went to Mary's (another bar in Magherafelt). I don't know if I've mentioned this bar before, but it's an older crowd. Most of the people are in their early 30's and 40's. Mary's is more like a meat market then a club, but it has a good DJ and a nice dance floor. When we got there, no one was on the dance floor, so the 4 us took the middle and started dancing. Within 5 minutes the floor was packed. Nothing like being the brave ones to start the dancing to make you feel good. However, it got so crowded that we ended up leaving early cause we couldn't even move. I have learned something that is very important, never ever make eye contact with men around the edges of the dance floor. As soon as you do they take the opportunity to try and make conversation with you. I seem to attract men in their late 40's. I usually can't understand anything they are saying, but I have found the perfect out for talking to them. The conversation usually goes like this:
Man:"Hi, how are you? Having fun?"
Me: "Yes, it's fun to be out."
Man: "Where you from?"
Me: "America."
Man: "What part?"
Me: "Maine" They of course have no idea where that is. They usually ask "Canada?" I ask if they know where Boston is, then tell them 2 hours north.
Man: "Why are you over here?" I found that most people want to move to America and find it odd that I've moved out to the country when I could have lived in America.
Me: "Because of my husband and daughter"
This is when they smile at me and tell me to have a nice night. It works every time. R however usually gets the girl that is really drunk and leans in just a little too close. One even used the pick up line of "Have you been in a film? Oh no, well you look like should be" I thought men only used that line. It was funny.

Now that I've started writing again, I have more to talk about then I thought. Next time I'll discuss the joys of knowing the dates for a return visit to Maine. Right now I'm going to read a book I got from the library in Maghera. Its a very small library, but seems to cater to books for women, so I'll have a good choice of books. Then I'm going to get ready for date night with my husband. Hopefully we'll go to Belfast to see his movie. We're going to see Drive Angry 3D. Nothing like guns and fast old cars to make a romantic night, and I'm not joking. If you know the two of us, this will make complete sense.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

oíche mhaith

No comments:

Post a Comment