Thursday 2 June 2011

Beoga at the Red Room

I'm going to start this blog off by saying this probably isn't my best piece of work. My brain is all over the place today. I think it has something to do with too much sun. I apologize now for using the same descriptive word a few times. I promise I'll be better next time : )
Sunday after the wedding was a great day. We got to sleep in, laze about the house and then in the evening, my husband and I went to see Beoga.

Photo taken from their official website.
 I've told you about this band before. Uncle L is in the band and a lot of the cousins and family came out to see him. They are a traditional Irish band, but with a twist. They're so much fun to listen to and their concerts are even better. If you want to know more about them or order their new CD, "How to tune a fish" go to www.beogamusic.com

The venue was The Red Room at Bryson's in Magherafelt. I expected the place to be good size for a concert, but the room was just a bar with a small dance area on the third floor. It would have been good for a one man band playing in the background, but not for a 5 piece band. It was also very crowded since a few of the members of Beoga are from this area.  Because it was so crowed we had a hard time hearing what they were saying and even some of their new songs. I wish I could give you a critic's view on their music, but I'm just being introduced to this genre of music. I can tell you though, that their music is lively, hence the name of the band, and Niamh Dunne's voice is so beautiful. The dueling accordions makes for some upbeat tempos. Hopefully, R and I will make another concert Sunday at Hayden's to see them. Hayden's is small, but not as much as a hang out location but as a musical venue. I'll be able to give a better description of their new album next time.

We did have a great time. I met a few more distance relatives of my husband that were really nice. It was also great to see his cousins again.  After the concert we headed back to L's house with a few of the cousins and ended up watching music video's until 4:30 in the morning. It was so much fun being around people my age again. Even though it's only been about 2 weeks since we left Maine I am missing my friends. The older cousins used to all hang out together when they were younger, but everyone has moved around and my husband has been away for almost 10 years. Hopefully we'll be able to hang out with them more.

I took pictures of the concert with my phone and they didn't come out very good. Hopefully I'll get better pictures this weekend. Hope you all had a safe holiday weekend. We've been enjoying lovely weather here and it should be nice for the next few days. My in-laws are also gone for the weekend to celebrate their wedding anniversary so we have the whole house to ourselves which is even better. We're expecting some friends to come over on Friday/Saturday.


The sparkly wallpaper on the way to the bathroom

The band in the front of the room.

The front of the room was made up of all glass and next to Niamh was the staircase up to the room as well.


A picture of just how crowded the room was. I still had lots of people behind me.
oíche mhaith

No comments:

Post a Comment