Saturday 25 June 2011

Let them eat cake

Another quiet week here in NI. However I did turn into a baking goddess for a few days. It was my husband's 31st birthday and since I'm too poor to buy him anything for his birthday I decided to make him a cake. He made me a fantastic cake last year for my birthday, so I thought I would try and out-do him this year. Having never baked a cake from scratch I was very wary and even tried to talk my way out of it twice. However, I found an easy cake recipe in one of my MIL's books and went for it. I made a Victorian Sponge Cake. I've got to say, it was really fun and really easy. I even made home-made butter cream frosting, which was delicious. It was very nerve racking though because I'd never had this type of cake before and had no idea what it was supposed to taste like. Based on everyone's reactions, it came out amazing and R has been eating it all week, and he doesn't normally like sweets.

Here's the cake at it's basic. It's got strawberry jam and butter cream frosting in the middle.
After the cake was done, I decided to try my hand at Regal Icing. You can make this from scratch too, but I chose to buy a pre-made cube and roll it out. It wouldn't be my favorite, way too sweet. But it makes the cake top really smooth and easy to decorate. Since my husband is a HUGE Ford Mustang lover, I wanted to do something with the pony. I free drew the emblem and traced the pony. I think it came out pretty good seeing how I can't draw at all.


Also this week I started working on my starter for Sourdough bread. Once you get it going, it can take up 4 days to get it all bubbly, then another 3 days before you can even start making the bread. The first started I messed up because I measured it wrong, so I started another. We'll see how everything goes. I'll let you know and if it works out, I'll share the recipe.

We were supposed to have the TT's up this weekend from Dublin, but that will be next weekend. So today we went to Maghera Fun Day at the movie theatre. It was a free day with 3 movies to choose from for the kiddies and then activities after. O did really well. We showed up late on purpose so that if she didn't want to sit through a movie we could still enjoy the rest of it. Well we were able to get into RIO and she sat for 45 minutes no problem, in fact it made her very sleepy, so when the movie was over, we came straight home. The activities were a little bit too old her, but it was nice to see how she reacted to the movie. I'm hoping that tomorrow is nice so we can go to the country fair at Shane's Castle.

Hope you all have a good week. Missing my friends at CampMeeting this year. If the visa hadn't gotten in the way, I would have been in Maine right now. I'm definitely going to be in Maine next July no matter what it takes.


oíche mhaith

No comments:

Post a Comment