Monday 6 June 2011

Singing at the parish and listening to some Trad.

I had what I would call the most (stereotypical) Irish weekend possible. I sang in a parish concert Saturday and then a traditional Irish music concert on Sunday night. It was one of those experiences that makes me say, "I wish my friends were here, they would loving this!"

 On Saturday night I sang in a parish concert. I didn't volunteer as much as got tricked into singing with two of R's cousins and my MIL. A parish concert is a fundraiser for the church with talent from their members. It was held in the Keenaght GAC Hall (very similar to our Grange halls). I thought that there wouldn't be alot of people at this since it was a Saturday night and a church thing. How wrong I was. I think the whole parish was there. There were about 14 acts, each doing 2 songs/acts. We were the last act before the intermission. Cousin E sang a solo and then we joined her and sang "The Rose" by Bette Midler. We had practiced during the week, but not very much. I think we did okay, or so everyone tells us. The backing track was too loud so the melody got drowned out. I was singing the harmony and that was on the track so I don't think anyone heard me or they thought I was the one singing too loud. I had to leave at intermission cause our friends were still at the house. I would have loved to have stayed for the whole thing because each act was so "country" Irish. I saw a young lad do traditional Irish dancing, a harp player/singer, the priest and some men sing traditional songs, and even 3 young girls doing their best GLEE act.
The funniest part of the whole night was the looks I was getting from all the women at the hall. They were almost looks of disgust. In fact I had to ask my MIL a few times if I looked okay based on how they were staring at me. Almost like, "Oh my gosh, how could she leave the house wearing something like that." However both cousin E and my MIL both said that it was because everyone knew who everyone else was except for me. They've never seen me before and didn't know who I was. After knowing that, it made me feel a little more special. Almost looking forward to the next one. I was even told by the choir director that I didn't have to be Catholic to be in the choir. I might just join to get back into music and to meet more people.

This is from the back of the parish hall. By the time we sang each table was full, as was each chair. There is also a bar in the corner. That was full as well. It seemed like a place to meet a good single, Irishman.

This is us on the stage. It was very scary.

Sunday night we went to Hayden's in Pomeroy. You can't find the bar on the map and when you're on your way to the bar you think you've gotten lost about 3 times. I've told you all about this bar before. This time we went and saw Beoga as promised. It was much nicer to be able to hear them than last week, even though the only people we knew there were ourselves and the band. There were a fair bit of people there, but not as crowded as last time either. Some of the songs I've heard before on their previous albums and I really like their new stuff. In fact, based on what I heard last night their newest album would be my favorite. They've really matured as a band and their songwriting is amazing.  Again sandwiches were passed around during intermission and at the end of the night, they had one of the brothers that runs the bar come and play as well as a friend of their.

The band introducing their next song.

At the end with the two guest joining in for a few sets.


I had a video to share, but it didn't upload correctly. But if you want to hear some of their new album you can go to http://www.beogamusic.com/

This weekend was great. We had good weather most of the week up until Sunday. R even got burnt and I got a slight tan. We also had friends from Belfast come visit us and we had the house to ourselves as the in-laws were away celebrating their wedding anniversary. I hope the week is as good as the weekend.

oíche mhaith

No comments:

Post a Comment